In this post, I’m going to give a list of 6 steps on how you can kick-start your career in quality . I also did like to hear from experience QM member on how you have started it differently.
Please drop your comment…. below.
To be honest, I didn’t follow these 6 steps when I started my 1st Quality management role. If you have wondered around where to start and feeling depressed ! You’re not alone! This post will provide you some doable steps and guidance on “How To kick Start Your Career in Quality”.
- Spend some time to understand company products or services as soon as possible.
- Know where the company is in terms of Quality Management System or its quality program (Make internet your best mentor if you are new in your role
- Review company’s available historical data such
- Vital Performance Index or KPI metrics.
- Audit reports
- Quality assurance reports
- Analysis of customer feedback
- Management review minutes. (this list can grow longer, alternatively ask the department head to rank which report you should study
- Conduct your own audit or gap analysis, you may start with simple check list . If time allows go for full benchmarking exercise based. (Just to name one) Process Enterprise Maturity Model (PEMM) can be a good start.
4. Walk the floor and talk to the people to clarify your doubt. You may learn one of two about current quality culture.
5. Finally take action: use what you have learned to move forward with a 30/60/90 days plan.
Wish someone gave me this 6 steps on how to kick-start my quality career.
I’m still on learning journey on this topic and would love to hear what you have learned from this topic.